Monday 25 February 2013

Nostalgia alert: 70s Doctor Who toys

I’ve mentioned them before and more than once, but here goes:

And yes, this echoes a similar article by Stuart Flanagan in Behind The Sofa, I’m sure we’re not the only ones:

Christmas, probably 1977 so I was three and a half, I believe...

I got the Tom Baker Doctor, the big cardboard TARDIS with the disappearing trick, K-9, the Cyberman with a nose and the Palitoy Talking Dalek from a few years earlier.

They were huge and glorious things, big enough to be balanced by one hand. They were incompatible with the little Star Wars figures, and the bigger Action Men, and that didn’t bother me at all, I knew these were different universes. The TARDIS in particular had a size and a weight that impressed and delighted, and the Dalek talked (at least for a while) and rolled around on wheels.

And like Star Wars, the Doctor and K-9 were off having continuing adventures in the comics even in the gap between series and films, and there was plenty in my head for them to do as well.

Possibly the best Christmas special ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment