Wednesday 27 March 2013

Art Of The Time Lords?

This DWAITAS thread noticed that the brass ball with blue and orange lipstick-looking points at the front of the Anomaly opener in Primeval is also the spinny thing on the Eleventh Doctor’s console in 2010...

And on the tray of alien artefacts in Torchwood... and a bomb attached to Lister in Red Dwarf...

(Correction: apparently it's not actually) by artist Chris Bathgate. (Which again raises the question of where it came from...)

So what might the other objects in the series be? They’re all quite abstract, but some suggest different shapes and sizes.

Take a look for yourselves before letting my ideas below the cut influence you...


Dalek starfighter?

Mining Dalek?

Art deco blaster pistol?

Sontaran probe?

Imperial flagship of the 77th Century?

Time rotor?

Sonic Sceptre?

Face of a robot gladiator?

Face of a mad robot gladiator?

Robot bank vault that leaves under its own power in the event of a robbery?

Landing craft?

Central air system of a dystopian underground city?

Mask of the Arachnonaut?

Whatever they are, they look angry?

TARDIS joystick - I’m pretty sure that one did happen!

2 comments:

  1. I know this is late in coming, but this sculpture/prop is not one of Chris Bathgate's. I've e-mailed him asking him what the name of this sculpture was (since all of his sculptures have names I thought it would help me in my search to find one). This is the relevant part of the reply he sent me:

    "Thank you for writing. I am sorry to say that the object you are referring to is actually not one of mine. Strangely, this is not the first time this particular prop has been incorrectly attributed to me.

    The last time it happened, I believe it was someone claiming it was mine on a Doctor Who forum (again incorrectly stating that my works are massed produced).

    Thank you for your compliments on my work though. Each of my sculptures is in fact a one of a kind solid machined, art object. Currently, I only show my work in Museums and other fine art settings and do not make movie props. So if you ever are in a position to straighten out the facts on a forum somewhere, please feel free to do so.

    Again, I appreciate the letter, even if a misunderstanding brought you to my work, I hope you can appreciate it for what it is, instead of what it is not."

    So, I'm sorry to disappoint, but a search for a "Chris Bathgate Doctor Who (or any of the other shows listed) Sculpture" will not yield anything. He did not make this one, but someone did, and there has to be some of them still floating about out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for passing that on, and sorry for passing on inaccurate information!

      Delete